PAPERBACK + STUDIO
- MAR 24, 2016
|eBook + Studio||9781501317408|
|Companion Study Tools||ISBN|
Please note that exam/inspection copies and instructor resources are only available to instructors and faculty staff at recognized institutions.
Technology has always impacted the practice of fashion design. Though fashion and technology have long intersected, recent developments in computation have enabled the adoption of new methods, tools, and approaches to design. From materials to new manufacturing processes of the industrial age, advancements in technology have driven forward our understanding of the aesthetics, style, and functionality of garments and accessories. Fashion and Technology provides a conceptual framework for how new technologies are used in fashion design and shows how they can be implemented into the design process. This practical guide includes highly visual tutorials that introduce students and practitioners to designing with electronics—such as LEDs, sensors, electroluminescent materials, conductive and reactive materials—and digital fabrication technologies such as 3D printing and laser cutting. Projects make these innovative materials accessible to designers and will inspire creative collaborations within studio practice.
- Highly visual Tutorials follow a consistent format for presenting each technique including descriptions, materials and supplies, workspace, safety considerations or hazards, numbered steps and finished examples
- Designer Interviews and Case Studies showcase innovative fashion collections and forward-thinking collaborations
- A unique chapter on designing with source code introduces programmatic concepts and terminology for novices
- Instructor’s Guide provides suggestions for planning the course and using the text in the classroom, with supplemental assignments and lecture notes.
- Test Bank includes sample test questions for each chapter.
Introducing Fashion and Technology STUDIO--an online tool for more effective study!
~ Study smarter with self-quizzes featuring scored results and personalized study tips
~ Review concepts with flashcards of essential vocabulary
~ Watch videos that bring chapter topics and concepts to life
Table of Contents
1. The Integration of Technology into Fashion
2. How To Design With Electronics
3. How To Design With Conductive and Reactive Materials
4. How To Design With Existing DIY Kits
5. Introduction To Digital Fabrication
6. Introduction To Code
About The Authors
Aneta Genova is Associate Teaching Professor in the School of Fashion and the School of Art, Media, and Technology at Parsons School of Design in New York City, USA.
Katherine Moriwaki is an Assistant Professor Director of the MFA Design + Technology program in the School of Art, Media and Technology at Parsons School of Design in New York City, USA.
- Paperback + Studio
- Fairchild Books
- 220 color illus